Thursday, January 10, 2008

The preachers of hate





Bangkok is a great place to visit. My ex girlfriend would live there for most of the time, as Burma was often too stressful to be.

During my last visit in March last year, I would frequently go out in the evening. We had an apartment on Soi 22, Sukumvit Road. From there it is a little walk to Soi 19, where the street is full of bars and “entertainment”. Inside the bars there is too much sexual oriented acts going on.

Outside though, things are quite well. On the corner of the street there is a bar where one can sit undisturbed and have a cool beer.

After my second visit in that bar, one of the barmaids, called “Nan” joined me and, naturally, I have to pay for drinks. Well no worries there, she was very sympathetic and made nice conversation.

A friend of her, a prostitute working the streets, joined her. There, more drinks to pay.

I asked them if they eat insects as well, because I ate the small ones myself, but never the huge cockroach-like beetles. Nan wasn´t too fund of it, but the prostitute adored it, especially the big ones. She went to a stand further down the road and bought four of them, in order to teach me how to eat them.

While we were enjoying some men walked into the street and just a few steps away from us they stopped.

“Oh no, not again” Nan said.

At first I didn´t know what was going on, but then the biggest of them raised his arm with one finger sticking out and started screaming at the top of his lungs about how all sinners would go to hell. Quotes from the bible were accompanied by the spit of anger…….

We watched the scene for a few minutes and then I had enough. Here is a street full of nice people, some of them forced to prostitution and this idiot is condemning them to hell.

I stood up and walked over to the smaller guy standing behind the big Christian bully and explained to him that their intended audience probably had no idea what he was on about. You see, these people are Buddhists. They have no conception of the proclaimed evil heaven or hell. They have no idea what these guys are saying.

After doing that, I returned to my seat and told the prostitute what I had just told him.

“Tell him” she said “that he can fuck me for free, if he just shuts up”

After half an hour they stopped. The big bully walked up to our table and reached out his hand in order to shake mine.

I took it and held on to it longer then he expected.

“Remember” I told him “none of these women are bad people”. He tried to draw back his hand, but I held on to it.

“And what’s more, this kind lady here just offered you a free fuck, if you just shut up.”

They went away, the big guy looking over his shoulder to our table in disbelief.

I looked back at him and the prostitute, having half a bug in her mouth, raised her arm to him, one finger sticking out, but it was the one next to the one he himself had used to curse some of the finest people I ever met.

Christians? Please keep them out of Bangkok…….Bangkok can do without the preachers of hate and intolerance.

No comments: